Michael B. Rodbell13047 Jerome Jay Drive Hunt Valley, MD 21030 410 598-8135 email@example.com
Technical leader delivering complex systems and software (architecture, application development, infrastructure and research), while overseeing annual budgets in excess of $20M. Drives technology/processes enhancing business performance, including 100% improvement in on-time project delivery. Experience leading large, globally distributed teams responsible for technology development based on .NET, Java, diverse data systems (Oracle, Netezza, Infobright, Business Objects), real-time embedded systems, network management products based on J2EE, C++, and open standards, and advanced architectural modeling techniques for safety, reliability and security. Key author of telecommunication patents and frequently published in technical journal.
Areas of expertise include:
• Team Building/Mentoring/Improvements
• Building and Sustaining Client Relationships
• Driving High Performance Teams
• Quality Management
• Process Redesign and Optimization
• Intellectual Property Management
• Technology Standards, Procedures and Efficiencies
• Strategic Planning and Direction Setting
- Integrated Metastorm’s and Global360 (past competitor of Metastorm) product development organizations into OpenText’s Business Process Solutions (BPS) group.
- Drove Metastorm’s social BPM product development.
- Addressed major customer satisfaction issues through changes in team organization, processes, and quality management strategy.
- Led AOL Advertising’s technology refresh, integrating disparate local and global technology teams. Reinvigorated major re-engineering effort, delivered major infrastructure that allowed the division to increase capacity and adapt to market changes. Reduced program costs (from $20 million/annum to approximately $8 million/annum).
- Set and implemented strategy for multi-tiered architecture enhancing collaboration amongst AOL’s internal employees and external customers. Established framework for next generation advertising exchange and self-service infrastructure.
- Led design, development and deployment of a highly scalable advertising network equipped to deliver in excess of 4 billion impressions daily. Jumpstarted this stalled program by re-engineering teams and approaches.
- Led Advertising.com’s core development organization of 25, constructing a new organization fused with a separate 80+ member team, hiring and managing senior and junior team members, overseeing and evaluating service providers.
- Key innovator of control systems and distributed computing framework employed to manage CIENA’s DWDM product line ensuring fault isolation/identification and optimal power management.
- Founded DG Technology, Inc, an independent consulting firm that grew to 10 consultants that was ultimately acquired by CIENA
Metastorm (now OpenText) 2010 to 2013
VICE PRESIDENT, Product Development
Lead international team engaged in development of BPM, Adaptive Case Management, EA/BPA, Managed File Transfer, and Enterprise level collaboration tool suites. Transitioned to agile methodologies. Significantly improved product quality through enhanced attention to architecture, program management, quality assurance. Manage relationship with offshore contracting organizations in Eastern Europe. Leading establishment of development organization in Hyderbad, India. Collaborated in integrating Global360 (former competitor to Metastorm) into the OpenText BPM business unit.
Advertising.com/AOL-Advertising 2006 to 2010
VICE PRESIDENT, ENGINEERING (2007 – 2010)
Led development, data, and QA teams (team size: 120) building high volume advertising network. Transitioned organization to high-performing, self-directed, cross-functional teams. Introduced Agile SCRUM methodology resulting in significant productivity improvements and internal customer satisfaction. Established and led cross-divisional executive team managing intellectual property matters. Responsible for engineering and operations of data systems. Established teams to handle several technologies across enterprise. Teams developed: adserving, data warehousing, large scale data management, self-service applications, ad optimization, search engine management (SEM), Behavioral Advertising, custom applications, business process management and quality assurance – all-told over a $400M business for AOL.
SENIOR DIRECTOR, ENGINEERING (2006 – 2007)
Directed engineering and quality assurance teams delivering and maintaining on-line advertising technologies for web, search and campaign management advertising services. Managed 10 direct reports and an overall team of over 100 full-time and contract personnel. Set process direction, negotiated and defined project roadmaps and contract vendor relationships, and framed portfolio level product decisions.
WW Technology Group 2004-2006
VICE PRESIDENT WW TECHNOLOGY GROUP
Managed, delivered and marketed highly reliable technology research, system design, development, project management and product certification services for DoD and NASA research labs including the Air Force Research Laboratory, Goddard Space Flight Center, and the Naval Research Laboratory. Successful author of several SBIR proposals, providing seed funds for key product research efforts.
CIENA Corporation 1998-2004 SENIOR DIRECTOR, NETWORK MANAGEMENT (2001 – 2004)
Directed development and planning of Network Management products. Managed geographically (domestic and off-shore) distributed team, coordinating roadmaps with Product Line Management, and negotiating with key accounts. Managed relationships with large accounts (AT&T). Products based on Java, JMS, J2EE, Oracle, and C++.
SENIOR DIRECTOR, EMBEDDED SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT (2000 – 2001)
Directed and managed embedded and support teams (60 staff members) responsible for delivery of software for MultiWave CoreStream and Metro product lines generating in excess of $500M annualized revenue.
DIRECTOR EMBEDDED SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT (1998 – 2000)
Formed and led CoreStream embedded software team developing distributed control and monitoring services. Established processes (suitable for ISO-9000 certification), and defined system software architectures, allowing for major growth of the CIENA flagship DWDM products.
DG Technology Inc. 1994-1998
Established and grew computer and communications consulting firm from ground floor to successful acquisition. Provided software development, system analysis and communication system engineering services. Identified, targeted and marketed services to local high technology clients. Clients included CIENA, Northrop Grumman, IRE (now SAFENET), GTE Spacenet, Autotote, T. Rowe Price, and MICROS Systems. Sold company to CIENA Corporation in 1998.
BoozAllen & Hamilton Inc., Bethesda & Linthicum MD 1988-1994
Managed Research and Development in high assurance, secure communications and processing systems. Performed technical task direction, staff management, business development, marketing, sales, proposal preparation, budget management and market analysis.
M.E.S., Electrical Engineering, Loyola College, Baltimore, MD
B.S. Computer Science Coordinated With Psychology, Trinity College, Hartford, CT
1994 through 1998 Columnist Communication Systems Design. “Standards and Protocols.” Columns provided insight into the rationale, design, and implementation of data and telecommunications transport and management protocols.